Night Train announce 25 man roster, coaching change
03/09/03 Night Train Press Release
After two weeks of training camp, the La Crosse Night Train of the National Indoor Football League narrowed its roster down to 25 players yesterday. The team also signed former Cleveland Browns fullback Chris Floyd (6’2, 235 lbs.) to fill the void left by an injury to Marquette Smith at the tailback position.
Floyd, a 1998 fourth-round draft pick out of the University of Michigan, has played for both the New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns over his four-year NFL career. He will join the team on Monday.
The team also announced Defensive Coordinator Bob Canny will not be a part of the coaching staff this season. Canny cited personal reasons as his decision for not coming to La Crosse. He will be replaced by current Assistant Coach Mitch Madland as defensive coordinator.
Reggie Mathis, a former New Orleans Saints linebacker and Oklahoma State standout, will take over duties as assistant defensive coach. Mathis was the head coach of the Flint Flames (IFL) in 2000 and was an assistant coach for the Quad City Steamwheelers (AF2) in 2002.
The following is a list of players on the team’s 25-man retaining roster:
- QB- Johnny Johnson, Marrial Shields
- RB- Chris Floyd
- WR- DiAllo Johnson, Larry Henderson, Titcus Pettigrew, Ben Antony, Jose Banda
- OL- Jason Hennigh, Xavier Bonds, Garnet Asmundson, Dupree Bee
- DL- Derric Coakley, Dempsey Miller, Willie Stephen, Roger Wilson, Dave Diemel
- LB- Tawan Temple, Josh Jacobs
- DB- Marvin Hooker, Tajuan Tait, Freddie Cruz, Jarobi Kemp, Ken Smith
- K- Brett Gordon
The Night Train will open the 2003 season this Friday, March 14, against the Sioux City Bandits. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. at the La Crosse Center.