Horsemen dsign Craig Yeast
05/20/03 Horsemen Press Release
The Lexington Horsemen today announced that they have signed former University of Kentucky and National Football League receiver Craig Yeast. Yeast, who played for the Wildcats from 1995 to 1998, holds or shares 13 Kentucky records, including most career passing yards, most career pass receptions, and most career touchdowns scored. Yeast was named a third team All-American by Football News in 1998, was a unanimous first team All-SEC selection in 1998, and was a second team All-SEC selection in 1997.
After his extraordinary UK career, Yeast was selected in the fourth round of the NFL draft by the Cincinnati Bengals. He played for two years for the Bengals as a wide receiver and kick returner, starting seven games and making 27 receptions for 321 yards. After the 2000 season, Yeast was traded to the New York Jets, where he led the team in punt and kickoff returns in 2001.
“Obviously, we’re thrilled to sign a player of Craig’s caliber,” said Horsemen Head Coach and General Manager Tony Franklin. “It’s excellent to get a local guy who has played at the highest level of the game, and we can’t wait to see what he can do in our league.”
Yeast participated in his first Horsemen practice on Monday, and will dress for Saturday’s game against NIFL defending champion Ohio Valley (8-0). He is expected to see game action against the Greyhounds. Dougie Allen injury update
Horsemen wide receiver Dougie Allen had an MRI taken today of his right knee, which he injured in Saturday’s game against Beaumont. Allen will be unable to play for a minimum of two weeks, pending the results of the MRI, which will be known tomorrow.
Yeast at UK
The following is a list of University of Kentucky records that Craig Yeast holds or shares:
- Most pass receptions, career (208)
- Most pass receptions, game (16, vs. Vanderbilt, Nov. 14, 1998)
- Most receiving yards, career (2,899)
- Most receiving yards, season (1,311, 1998)
- Most receiving yards, game (269, vs. Vanderbilt, Nov. 14, 1998)
- Most touchdown receptions, career (28)
- Most touchdown receptions, season (14, 1998)
- Most touchdown receptions, game (4, vs. Indiana, Sept. 20, 1997)
- Most all-purpose yards, career (4,280)
- Most all-purpose yards, season (1,841, 1998) Most touchdowns scored, career (32)
- Most touchdowns scored, game (4, vs. Indiana, Sept. 20, 1997)
- Longest kickoff return, game (100, vs. Florida, Sept. 26, 1998)
The Horsemen’s next game will be played against Ohio Valley this Saturday, May 24 at 7:30 PM in Rupp Arena. Lower and upper arena seats are still available and can be purchased by contacting the Rupp Arena ticket office at 859-233-3535.