The NIFL Fan Forum is for entertainment purposes only.
The views expressed on this message board are not necessarily based on fact.
The opinions and views on this board do not necessarily reflect those of the staff, management or employees of the National Indoor Football League or member teams
Please refer to the forum guidelines for more information.

FAQ Search Memberlist Register Profile Login to check your private messages Login Usergroups

Art Haege Hired as Bandits head coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

National Indoor Football League Forum Index -> Pacific Conference Northern Division
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Art Haege Hired as Bandits head coach

Press release is at
http://www.scbandits.com/2003articles/Art%20Haege%20hired.htm
DARE
Rookie

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about any players being signed. I look around the league and most teams have had tryouts & signed several players. The bandits have only just started to advertise their two tryouts in Las Vegas and Sioux City. I’m a fan of the bandits and curious about the coaching situation their web site has not listed any assistant coaches or staff? I know the bandits have hired a new coach and I wish him the best of luck, but don’t you think it’s time to get on the ball about these things. Is his plan to bring back some of the old coaches or to “clean house”. And how effective is the tryouts in Las Vegas going to be? (If a player is going to try out for an arena 1 team he is expecting to make a couple thousand dollars a week compared to a couple hundred in the NIFL) I’m sure he is a good coach, he seems to have a lot of experience at many levels of football. It was just frustrating to see the bandits struggle last year, I’m aware that Carl had to leave for personal reasons and I wish him the best of luck. But now that the bandits have a new coach the fans want to know what is being done, who are the new coaching staff? have any players being looked at or signed? icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject:

If i had more answers i would give you some.

Have no clue about assistants, players, or much of anything else.

The try-out in combination with the Gladiators is huge. Being that Art (Bandits coach) and his son Frank (Gladiators coach), this will give us a larger pool of athletes to pick from. Some of these AFL try out have been having well over 500 attendees.

All I can say is be patient, and let the coaches take care of things. These guys know what is going on.

Remember, Art has developed many players that are now in the NFL from the AFL. Like Kurt Warner, and a vareity of others.
BANDITS LEAP ZONE
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Patience good things come to those who wait and GOOD THINGS ARE A COMING! icon_biggrin.gif
BanditBleacherBoy
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Having the tryout w/ the Gladiators is a very good thing. The AFL team tryout in Vegas is going to draw far better talent than any Bandit tryout in Sioux City will ever get. I've always thought the Bandits needed talent from outside the area. Being the Wayne State All-Stars has gotten us some wins, but hasn't really put us to the next level. The AFL tryout is going to get some very good talent. Obviously, the Gladiators will have first crack at the studs, but if the Bandits can get 5 guys who are close to the AFL level, that would be huge. Hopefully we can get a stud RB who doesn't fit the AFL mold, and is looking to play RB, not WR/Linebacker. Getting those players to come to the NIFL and not AF2 will be a huge challange. I wonder what the AFL league offices has to say about this "duel tryout".
I hope Hage stays w/ the core Bandits that have been around since the begining. Jarrod, Erv S, Jesse, Art, and Johnny O, all have some more good years left and will help the Bandits next year. We do need some new, fresh legs though. This is a league of youth. We need to stock up on those 22-24 year olds, that have slipped past the scouts and are looking for their break. There are some diamonds in the rough, and we need to find a few.
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject:

Don't know a whole lot, but I don't think you will be disappointed in who you see and who will be new. Just a feeling I got.

As far as the duel try-out goes, I don't think anybody is going to bring up the issue. Seems to me that this is a way for the Gladiators to get their own development team. We may see a few guys in and out, but I think we will have a very solid team.
DARE
Rookie

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I do agree having a dual tryout could benefit both the bandits and the gladiators, but the pay difference between indoor football and arena football is huge, and the style of play is much different. Guys that are trying out for an arena team will be expecting to make thousands of dollars a game compared to a couple hundred in indoor football, how many of them would be willing to move halfway across the country without a hope that they will eventually be moved up. So if Sioux City is going to be sort of a “farm team” how could that help us? How’s a team going to build confidence in each other if players are being shuffled in and out?
I don’t mean to be the negative one, I just want our bandits to excel and the only to do that is to build a solid foundation. I do agree with bleacher boy we do need some fresh legs, I can only hope that we get them in the position is that are needed.
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject:

From what I have gathered over the past few weeks, is that the AFL is trying to put a cap on salaries. $1500 per game in fact is the number that I have seen batted around.

Now, this is a different way of looking at this. The two games are quite similar, a few differences in some rules, but the play of the game is football. I am not contending they are the same, but there are enough similarities for coaches to evaluate players for moves to higher leagues.

We have combined try-outs, only 25-28 players are going to be considered for the AFL team. Lets say this draws 500 attendees, that leaves 470+ players who may have the ability to play. We are able to capture the next 25-30 players. These guys did not get a shot at the AFL team, but were likely close. They may have made a wrong cut, dropped one more ball, sprained an ankle, been sick, what ever. Now these guys get a chance to inprove their game sothat they can compete in the future. We may loose a few players during the season, but they will be replaced by players who may only be a half step slower, or a half step faster, but they have not gotten to showcase their skills in the arena. The more players we move on, the better players we get in the future. It is nice to see local guys playing on the Bandits, but it would be nice to see our local guys playing on Sunday as well. That is why this is so cool.

I dont think for a minute that coach Haege is going to sacrifice the Bandits record for player development. What I do see is a team that will likely have unprecidented talent for this season. Talent that will rivel the talent of the Utah's and the OV's in this league, and may surpass it this year.

When I get updates on players, I will get them posted, and dont be suprised at who you do and dont see. This is gonna be a fun ride this year.
BanditBleacherBoy
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Payne-
You're missing the big picture here. If a player goes to this tryout and doesn't make the Vegas team, he has several options. He can take the pay cut and play AF2 or NIFL, and hope to get a shot at the AFL or sit on his ass and hope to get the call.
AFL rules are very different from NIFL and really needs a different type of player. The AFL needs the two-way player. A player like Art Malupe, who is a terror at DT, could never play O-Line for an AFL team, and certain corners with their stone hands could never play WR. On the other hand, guys like Jesse W and Steve Schmitt are tailor made for the Arena game. That being said, if a players desire is to eventually move on to the AFL, his best chance is to play in the developmental AF2 league, and play AFL ironman rules.
But.... and this should be the selling point of the the Bandits, If a player signs with an AF2 team, he in NOT allowed to play in the AFL that same year. There are no call-ups, he's stuck in the AF2 for the entire year. If a player were to sign with an NIFL team, he is able to break that contract mid-season and move on the higher level. So, unlike an AF2 team, the Bandits are truely able to become a farm team, and that could be a major appeal to a borderline player. If that player thinks he has a shot at getting the call, his best bet is steering clear of the AF2 contract and going to the NIFL. Hopefully we can get 7-8 of those AFL borderline guys, and get ourselves some victories with that caliber player.
#1 bandit
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject:

Things sound real great for the upcoming season. I did hear that some of our core guys like Jerry Davis, Trice Crump, Jarrod DeGorgia, Erv Strobeen and some others will not be with us next year.. Is this true? Not a good move in my opinion with the new arena coming and all.. We need our guys not some guys that will be here one minute and out the next.. Look at how last year shaped up.. Keep the core and build from there... icon_biggrin.gif
BANDITS LEAP ZONE
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject:

I was told several will be back .But changes are a coming and some of the players I hear we will sign should not disapoint! icon_biggrin.gif
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I can confirm what BLZ stated. But, I don't have much of idea who will be here. It is not unusual that a new coach will seek out his own talent, so we will have to wait a week or two, to see who we sign coming out of the combine in Las Vegas this week.

That might give some ideas of positions that Coach Haege thinks are important to fill.
#1 bandit
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject:

How did the tryout go in Vegas? I did hear that the tryout here got canceled. Is this true? Are we not trying to get the most talent out there? If the tryout is canceled, what does that say to the players out here in the midwest? One last question.. Have the bandits signed any of the "core" players from last year. I see all these teams signing players and nothing from the bandits.. Lets get on the ball and not rush things like we have in the past... With the new arena shaping up that means the city is behind the team now lets get the front office guys to do there job... see you in march!!! go bandits!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif
BANDITS LEAP ZONE
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject:

From the news they say the Vegas tryouts went very well and the signed a DE and are talking to several other players ! icon_biggrin.gif
matpayne
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject:

Glad you heard something, I have been out of the loop. Been so busy this week, I can't think straight.
       National Indoor Football League Forum Index -> Pacific Conference Northern Division All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: