The NIFL Fan Forum is for entertainment purposes only.
The views expressed on this message board are not necessarily based on fact.
The opinions and views on this board do not necessarily reflect those of the staff, management or employees of the National Indoor Football League or member teams
Please refer to the forum guidelines for more information.

FAQ Search Memberlist Register Profile Login to check your private messages Login Usergroups

Tri-City Diesel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

National Indoor Football League Forum Index -> General NIFL Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Tri-City Diesel

Just wondering if anyone who is a Diesel fan care that the team is going downhill with Leland Skeen as our head coach and with his son Mike Skeen as the GM.
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:

His combined record for the past 3 years is 17-25. That's not looking to good. I think that it is time for a NEW head coach.
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject:

You only get 3 years to put your stamp of approval on a team and frankly he has put his stamp on us and it reads: AVERAGE
Someone who is an avid Diesel fan or any player if they would like PLEASE respond.
exit322
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I think part of the problem could be the owner.

Bailey owns both the Diesel and the Caps...and it seems that the Caps have better players year after year.

Could Bailey be signing the best players to play in Lincoln, and only be using the Diesel to make money since (if I remember right) he owns the Tri City Arena?
CapsFan4Life
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm hearing rumors that Bailey might not be the owner of the Caps anymore...who know's though.

WE WANT BO...WE WANT BO...WE WANT BO...

Lincoln Capitols-2004 NIFL Champs!
Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fwp
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I would sit tight with that until there's an official announcement CF4L.

Lincoln has the good fortune to have had some pretty doggone good players, and a much higher population area with more nearby schools to start from.

Also most of these guys have been around together since the Lightning days which got started before the Diesel got off the ground.

I personally have no idea how good a coach Skeen is, but I imagine it's tougher to pull in a full roster in Kearney compared to nearby Lincoln, and even Omaha!
CapsFan4Life
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject:

>thats why I said rumor _________________
I HATE STEVE PEDERSON(Nebraska Athletic Dictator...Director)

WE WANT BO...WE WANT BO...WE WANT BO...

Lincoln Capitols-2004 NIFL Champs!
Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Those are all great points, but there have been some really good players to come here to our city and have decided to leave and not play because of The Skeens. If you look at Lincoln, they have our old QB in Justin Coleman, Omaha has Brett Wetton, Lacrosse took Anthony Parker. Lets not forget the ones that Coach Skeen and staff chose not to re-sign back like Brad Kjar, Jimmy Moore, might I add lead the NIFL in all purpose yardage with 1130 yds., 10 ints, and 10 tds.(7 of those were on returns and other 3 were ints.) Tyrone Thomas, Juan Zerate etc.... The list goes on and on. So there have been some really good players that have been with this team that "Joke Skeen" oops I mean Coach Skeen has either not tried to sign back or has rubbed the wrong way.

[b]DIESEL FAN FOR LIFE!!!
GO DIESEL!!![/b]
fwp
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject:

While I don't know about many of the players that you list, I do know that Justin Coleman came here because of his wife, I don't believe it had anything to do with the coach.

Again, most of the players probably did not actually live in that area, which Lincoln, Omaha and I imagine many teams in the league do have that advantage. So you may not have as many repeat players as other teams have for that reason. They probably move on with their lives in what they do away from football.
row1dieselfan
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject:

Maybe some positve words might help from the fans On Point.

Like fwp stated Coleman followed his wife to Lincoln, Wetton tried out for the Seahawks and did not make the team. I am only guessing that moving to a team like the Beef will help him get more exposure to possibly lift him to the next level. As far as Parker, he was a very good player for Tri-City. Though he did bring some baggage with him that some fans didn't really care for. But, if you do remember that he left in a trade with LaCrosse. Kearney picked up Shields when the QB's were all having a tough time getting anythig started.
I would certainly hope that the Skeens are doing whats right for the team and not trying to make it in to joke as you as making reference to.
Lincoln is just a little over 100 miles away, I would only guess that they would be more than willing to have you purchase a season ticket for the caps. If you do let me know, I will personally buy you a cowbell to ring at the game. (oops, sorry cf4l)

Again to any bandwagon fans of the Diesel out there. You don't have to go to the games. You don't have to cheer for the Diesel. If you don't like them find someplace else to go. I don't need to see people like you running down the good work that people are doing to bring something to the Central Nebraska area. Look around there is not much here to do! Maybe you should take up Crane watching "On point at all times".

OK off the soapbox again. I do this evey year.
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Tri-City Diesel

Row1,
U sound like a Skeen yourself. All that I am saying is why should I have to go 100 miles to see a team when we have (or had) a perfectly good team right here. Just because its not much to do here does not mean that we have to suffer with a system that does not care about winning.
I am not a "fair weather fan" or a "bandwagoner" because I do state at the end of every message 'DIESEL FAN FOR LIFE" OR 'GO DIESEL" so you can't say that about me. The "DIESEL FAN FOR LIFE" should give that way.
As far as the players are concerned, I am glad to hear that Coleman made that decision based on family and that Wetton had his workot with the Seahawks (old news) and as far as Parker is concerned, we all have "baggage" so why use that as an excuse. The fact is that The Skeens have little if no respect for their players only themselves and it is time for a change.

DIESEL FAN FOR LIFE!!!
GO DIESEL!!!!!
2004 PLAYOFFS AT LEAST (baby steps first)
fwp
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Diesel look VERY competitive going into the first few games last year only to have a tremendous rash of injuries that led to their regular season struggles?

At this level you have to be very fortunate to overcome very many injuries anywhere!
Train Man
Rookie

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject:

row 1, first off A. Parker came back after going to the Night Train and then left after being lied too by the Skeens. On point, Tyrone Thomas did play for us last year, Brad Kjar quit on his own and Jimmy M couldn't hold on to the ball the next year. The worst thing the Skeens did was let go of the 2 young coaches we had. The younger Skeen took over the offense but never coached a day in his life before that. The head coach was a high school coach who had some luck at 8-man but never did anything at the state playoff level. You know your team is in trouble when you look at our coach and then across the field at Warren Powers! The only way the Diesel gets better is to start at the top and clean house. Once Bailey does this, then the team gets better, the crowds get better and the Diesel train starts to roll. I'm guessing they're gone after this next year. Until then, be happy with average. At least they're still here! Oh yea, Bailey does not own the Tri-City arena. He rents the building like everyone else does!
Send private message MSN Messenger
exit322
Hall Of Fame Member
Hall Of Fame Member

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject:

Okay, I apologize for my mistake on the ownership of the arena...I thought I heard somewhere that Bailey owned it.
On point at all times
Rookie

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Tri-City Diesel

Fwp,
You are so very right. The Diesel went 2-0 to start the season. We beat Oklahoma and we beat Lacrosse. Then we lost the next week to Sioux City. We were 2-1 not bad for a team with a bunch of new faces. Then out the clear blue sky Coach Skeen and staff decided to make some moves to so call "better the team" and we lost 6 or 7 straight I can't remember exactly. True we had a few injuries, but they were not to the point to where we were really hurt by them. We lost our starting QB Brian Villanneuwava (bad spelling) the first play of the first home game against LaCrosse. But to the credit of Roger Linn, he came in and helped us get that victory along with the STOUT running of Sherman Jones and Undre Hatcher and a pretty good Offensive Line lead by Jesse Burke. Against LaCrosse we were in a battle pretty much all game until about the 3rd Quarter when Anthony Parker got the interception and took it to the house for about 30-35 yards. The DEFENSE really played well that game. So against Sioux City we didn't play well on either side of the ball and we also lost a Key player on defense in Dave Stricklin, but it wasn't until the Wyoming game that Coach Skeen decided to make personnel changes. Only 1 lost mind you. After that we started to crash and burn. Also at this point, or maybe a game after, Coach Skeen and son Mike Skeen decided to FIRE the Defensive Coordinator Glen Snodgrass and D-backs coach Ryan Luke. Why? They were not the whole problem with the team. If he FIRED them then he should have FIRED himself because he is in just as much fault as they are.
I have said it once and I will say it again. It is time for a change in COACHING AND STAFF not in players. Lets try that and see what happens.
DIESEL FAN FOR LIFE!!!!!!!
GO DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!
DIESEL TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS 2004 ( baby steps first)
       National Indoor Football League Forum Index -> General NIFL Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: